Facing the quandary of what to do with your empty nest can be overwhelming. You are not only coping with the emotional turmoil of no longer having your children at home, but now you have this BIG, empty house as well. You might already be considering a move to a smaller house, but the thought of giving up the home where you raised your children has you feeling wistful. Your current home likely holds a lot of nostalgia for you. But remember, it’s just a house.
There are a lot of perks to downsizing:
- Your house will be easier to maintain and you will spend less time cleaning.
- You will spend less money on everything from your mortgage, taxes and insurance to your heating, cooling, and electricity.
- Having less debt will eliminate the financial stress that comes with a huge mortgage payment.
- A home that doesn’t drain your resources and energy will give you peace of mind. And that is priceless.
- A smaller home has a positive impact on the environment because it requires less resources to build and maintain.
- You will have more free time for living the life you want.
- It will force you to declutter and cut back on your belongings and keep you from buying more.
- If decorating is not your thing, a smaller house will make it less overwhelming for you.
- When the time comes to sell, a smaller, more affordable home will appeal to a larger percentage of the population.
How to Downsize Your Home Before You Move
Scaling down doesn’t mean you should move into one of the tiny house that doesn’t fulfill your needs. It might be just going from four bedrooms/three baths to three bedrooms/two baths. A professional Realtor like Desi Sowers can assist you in finding a smaller home that will suit all your needs and provide you with a less stressful, more peaceful lifestyle.
Thinking of buying a home or selling your current home in New River Valley, VA? Then it’s time to contact Desi Sowers, your New River Valley, VA real estate resource! Give her a call today at 540-320-1328!
Photo credits: stalberttoday.ca, nbcwashington.com, signalsecurity.com.au, smartmoneyquestions.com